When author Gary Smalley asked 100 people to share how they knew they’d received their parents’ blessing, they offered these memories of fatherly love:
- My father put his arm around me at church and let me lay my head on his shoulder
- When my father faced a transfer at work, he purposely took another job so I could finish my senior year in high school.
- When I wrecked my parent’s car, my father’s first reaction was to hug me and let me cry instead of yelling at me.
- My father went with me to the store when I had to return a purchase I regretted.
- My father let me practice pitching to him for a long time after work.
- My father cried during my wedding because he was going to miss me being at home.